The establishment of the church of Christ in Chester dates back to the year of 1936, when in September, A.E. Wickham conducted a Gospel Meeting under the sponsorship of the church in East Liverpool, Ohio. The church met in a vacant, remodeled room above Arner’s Funeral Chapel from 1936 to 1939. In January 1939, a portable building was purchased for $75.00 from the Board of Education. In the spring, it was moved to Chester and the church began meeting on Louisiana Avenue. In 1951, a building was erected on Virginia Avenue. There was extensive remodeling and enlarging done to the building in 1966. In 1986, a multi-purpose building was constructed on the property located on California Avenue. The church has shown steady growth throughout the years.
One characteristic of the church that has been outstanding is the strong leadership that has been produced through the years. Growth has been supervised by a number of faithful elders assisted by capable deacons. The church has also produced a large number of faithful gospel preachers who have given their lives in serving God. Several have become part-time preachers and quite a few of our young ladies have married gospel preachers.
Several ministers and their wives have served this congregation over the years. The first located preacher was Oliver Johnson. In 1945, Denver Cooper and his wife, Florence moved to work with the church here. In 1949, Jess and Gladys Nutter moved back to Chester to work with the church. Cecil and Helen Dotson served here from 1956 to 1961. Tom W. and Martha Butterfield served from 1962 to 1964. Frank and Rose Higginbotham moved to Chester in 1964 and are currently in their 43rd year of work with the congregation. In January of 2005, Jeremy and Karen moved to Chester. Jeremy served as the associate minister alongside Frank untill August 22, 2009.
In 1996, the congregation did a complete rebuilding of its facilities and added additional offices and classrooms. This enables the congregation to use the building more effectively in a number of areas.
The congregation continues to be characterized by its friendly, loving atmosphere.